Inspired by Norwegian nature since 1941
We have designed and manufactured furniture for 70 years. The two brothers Otto and at Mindor Hjellegjerde started it all in the fjord village Sykkylven in Norway.
In 1946, the third brother, Ingvar, joined the business. With a fierce dedication and great skill, the brothers managed to build a business that has become one of the largest furniture companies in Norway. We have grown from a small family business in a basement to what we are today, a company spread over four continents.
Quality and craftsmanship
Through all these years, we have produced comfortable quality furniture based on good craftsmanship and Norwegian design. We are proud that the furniture from Fjords are produced with the same dedication and skill as in 1941.
What is it that makes us different from other furniture manufacturers elsewhere in the world? Is it the contrasts landscape that surrounds us, where the endless motion of the ocean meets the strength of the mountains? Or is it the light in Norway – constantly changing – sometimes light, sometimes dark, unable to exist without the other? Both yes and no. The nature around us is robust and what we make is solid. The nature around us is generous – our furniture are made for generous comfort.
Tradition and innovation
The main key to our philosophy, is to find the combination between tradition and innovation, the point where yesterday’s knowledge meets modern technology. This makes us reliable and trustworthy, from product quality to delivery. Just like the ocean, we move constatly towards the goal, and like the mountains we will always have our roots in the past.
It makes us unique.
It makes us Fjords.
Fjords Hjellegjerde Furniture FAQs
- 10-year warranty: You can rest easy knowing that your metal frame and mechanical components on your recliner are covered for an impressive ten years. (Excludes reclining mechanisms and electronic parts)
- 5-Year Warranty: Your molded foam padding, wood components, gas cylinders, and all cables are all covered for five years after delivery.
- 3-year warranty: Power components, the Swing Relax Collection, and Modern Living Collection reclining motion are all covered for three years.
- 2-Year Warranty: Your leather or cloth coverings are covered for two years. *Some exclusions apply.
- 1-Year Warranty: Batteries in the Modern Living Collection are covered for an entire year after delivery.
- Design differences: The first notable difference is the design. Both companies offer luxury recliners in the mid-century style, but there are subtle differences, such as the base structure, armrests, headrests, and mechanics.
- Reclining motion: Ekornes chairs feature a glide system that makes them effortless to recline with only the slightest backward movement. Hjellegjerde, on the other hand, has a manual recline. The effort is minimal and flows seamlessly.
- Size options: Though many models from both lines offer multiple choices for sizing, Ekornes chairs typically provide three size options, whereas Hjellegjarde typically only provides two.