When it comes to choosing the right luxury recliner for your home, it is essential to do your research. As a significant investment in your relaxation, you will want to read some of the best recliner reviews, blog posts, and testimonials about each luxury brand so that you have all the facts before making your purchase.
Ekornes Stressless and Himolla are the top of the line in comfort and design. Both Ekornes Stressless recliners and Himolla recliners focus on comfort, ergonomics, and bold style. What is the best recliner to match your style and comfort? In this review, we compare and contrast the highs and lows of each brand and help you choose Himolla or Stressless.
Ekornes Stressless Recliners: A Brief History
To begin, let us explore the world of Ekornes Stressless recliners. These remarkable recliners are manufactured in Norway by Ekornes, which has been a staple in the luxury furniture industry since 1934. With a rich history of innovation and striking design and being credited as one of the first companies to put springs in furniture, Ekornes has been a forerunner in reimagining ways to approach comfort in a creative way.
Ekornes worked for decades to manufacture mattresses, lounge furniture, and other items until, in 1971, they launched the first Ekornes Stressless recliners. These remarkable recliners burst onto the Norwegian market and were a proper maverick of phenomenal design that centered on contouring to the curves of the body. From then on, Ekornes Stressless recliners have gained immense popularity around the globe for being the gold standard of luxury and cloud-like comfort.
This titan of the furniture industry grew to be a worldwide phenomenon, and by 1980, Ekornes Stressless recliners had generated over NOK 100 million in revenue. So what makes these recliners so special? Are stressless recliners worth the money? Let us take a look at some of the noteworthy features of Ekornes Stressless recliners and unpack what makes them so wonderful.
Reasons to Love the Ekornes Stressless Recliners
The rich history of innovation that has built Ekornes into a giant in the furniture industry all speaks to the dedication to being the best. There are numerous reasons to love the Stressless collection. From the perfection of ergonomic design to the bespoke mid-century stylistic structure, every inch of the Ekornes Stressless recliners speaks to outstanding quality.
Here are some of the specific reasons we love the Ekornes Stressless recliners:
- Ergonomic perfection: As the only chair that is endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association, Ekornes Stressless recliners are recognized as having excellent ergonomic design properties. Made to target specific stress points on the body, you will feel perfectly supported without having pressure on your back, hips, or legs. The incredible engineering that has gone into creating Stressless recliners is exhibited in the way each curve and line works to support and perfectly cradle your body as you recline.
- Individualized comfort: One of the most unique features of the Ekornes Stressless recliners is that they are available in three different sizes. Each option is available in sizes small, medium, and large to help match your individual body type. Everyone is different, and getting the right size will make all the difference in your relaxation.
- Quality materials: Ekornes is committed to using high-grade metals, top-grain leather, and sustainably sourced wooden components in all of their recliners. Being made from high-quality materials, Ekornes Stressless recliners are built to stand the tests of time. Ekornes follows the philosophy that a quality product begins with quality materials. This philosophy is proven thoroughly in the longevity, comfort, and quality of every Ekornes Stressless recliner.
- Personal expression: A major perk of choosing an Ekornes Stressless recliner is that you can choose from dozens of options to make the style uniquely your own. With a vast array of choices for bases, materials, leather, and reclining mechanics, you can get an individualized recliner that fits your living room. Whether you choose a bold red or a subtle beige, you can find the perfect match for your personal preference.
- Maximum adjustability: With several adjustable points such as lumbar and rigidity, Ekornes Stressless recliners are entirely adaptable to be just right. As you recline, your Stressless chair will adjust to hold your position for the most superb comfort. It moves with you to match the position of your body and effortlessly reclines and returns to an upright position only when you instigate it.
- Sublime comfort: We would be remiss if we failed to mention the cloudlike comfort you will feel when sitting down in a Stressless recliner. From the moment you feel the top-grain leather to the gentle way it cradles your every curve, you will experience incredible comfort and relaxation. Everything about these chairs speaks volumes about their commitment to comfort and quality.
On the other side of the great debate is Himolla. Himolla began as a small furniture shop in Germany in the late 1940s. From their family-owned roots, Himolla has valued the creation of luxury furniture, quality materials, and customizable options. With over six decades of crafting luxury furniture, Himolla has grown from that tiny shop to one of the world’s largest manufacturers of upholstered furniture.
By the mid-1990s, Himolla was a household name across the globe for its comfortable seating options and commitment to innovation. With a distinct mid-century design, Himolla recliners have been developed to be a modern seating feature in any living space. The German engineering that is behind these remarkable recliners is the height of luxury, decadence, and complete comfort.
What to Love About Himolla Recliners
Himolla recliners have a lot going for them in style and craftsmanship. Focusing on the handcrafted upholstery and impressive design, Himolla recliners are astoundingly comfortable and truly stunning to behold. With a staggering 200 leather options and 600 different fabric options for coverings, Himolla recliners are some of the most customizable seating options on the market. A wide variety of design options makes Himolla recliners unique and completely individualized.
Some of the finer points of what makes Himolla recliners great are:
- Elegant design: One of the first things you will notice about Himolla recliners is the exquisite elegance in their design. From sharp-looking curves and contrasting lines to the wing-like armrests and adjustable headrests, the mid-century modern design is noticeable. Built to be a statement piece in every living space, every Himolla seating apparatus will be a stand-out of luxurious design.
- Complete adjustability: Himolla recliners boast multiple adjustable points to find the best position for your relaxation. With options such as adjustable headrests, lumbar support, positionable armrests, and seat adjustments, you can create a seating option that is as unique as you are.
- Options galore: The amount of customizable options you can add to Himolla recliners is truly staggering. With customizable features and design choices, you have a whole world of possibilities to make your luxury recliner just the way you want it. Whether you value functional features like electric reclining or want to choose an avante garde shade of leather, Himolla has the options.
- Environmentally conscious manufacturing: As part of Himolla’s commitment to quality and responsibility, they are proud to be a signatory of the Bavarian Environmental Pact. In 2000, Himolla made the conscious decision to manufacture their luxury furniture using environmentally friendly methods and to use sustainable materials. Since then, Himolla has continued to create with a conscience and has won several awards for quality and environmental production.
- Genuine comfort: The decades of experience and profound German engineering behind the modern Himolla recliners combine to create a wonderfully comfortable seating option. As soon as you lean back in a Himolla recliner, you will feel the quality of true comfort. With every stitch and cushion, you will experience the benefits of super-soft foam and outstanding support. Himolla has designed its luxury recliners to be a place where life can happen, memories are made, and relaxation is a reality.
Contrast: Himolla or Stressless
Now that we have discussed why we love Ekornes recliners and Himolla recliners, let us explore some of the differences between these two titans of the furniture world. Though these are not necessarily a downside, they can give you a fuller picture to help you decide whether a Himolla or Stressless is the best option for your home.
- Cost: The first noticeable difference is the cost of each brand. Though the customizable options will impact the price tag, in general, Ekornes recliners are more expensive for the base models than Himolla recliners. Again, this will depend on the model, customizable options, and current promotions. While cost is always a factor in decision making, we must remind you: both of these brands are made to last. These are chairs that are often handed down to younger generations and hold a special place within a family.
- Custom options: Though both Himolla recliners and Ekornes Stressless recliners have a wide range of options, Himolla has a more extensive selection of customizations. Himolla recliners have more options for design, coverings, and adjustable mechanisms than Ekornes.
- Footrest: A big difference between Himolla recliners and Ekornes Stressless recliners styles is that the footrest is incorporated on Himolla recliners but is often a separate (included) piece on Stressless recliners. Though some models of Stressless recliners do include a footrest like the Stressless Max Power and the Stressless Mike Power, other models have a separate footstool. This can be a critical deciding factor if space is an issue.
- Look and design: Though both are stunning mid-century modern designs, there are some distinct differences. Himolla recliners tend to have a “heavier” build than Stressless recliners. Stressless recliners are often more streamlined with a light frame. Based on your preference, you may prefer one to the other.
- Awards and accolades: Consistently being reviewed in the best recliners reviews, both Himolla recliners and Ekornes Stressless recliners are heavily awarded and admired. Stressless recliners are the only chair to be endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association, which is a testament to their ergonomic properties. With other awards for design innovation, Ekornes had a full resumé of accolades on their trophy shelf.
Himolla boasts its own set of honors as well. With everything from the German Innovation Award and the German Design Award to the EMAS multiple times for being environmentally conscious, Himolla has a stunning showcase of achievements.
Answering the Big Question: Himolla or Stressless?
When it comes down to choosing the right luxury recliner for your home, there are a number of factors to consider.
Some things to consider are the cost, the design, the footprint, and the additional options you need from your recliner. Ultimately, here at European Leather Gallery, we love both options and will work with you to decide which one will be the perfect fit for you. We will go over the best recliners reviews, facts, and features to find exactly what you are looking for in a luxury recliner.
Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with either brand of recliner — the biggest decision is which one fits your personal tastes and the amount you’re willing to spend. Whether you are looking for the best Stressless recliners or want the best Himolla recliners, contact our team to learn how you can own luxury in your home.